kernel-sourcecode (was: Re: kernel-2.6.7-1.441 - x86-64 ...)

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Wed Jun 23 15:51:48 UTC 2004

On Wed, Jun 23, 2004 at 02:46:22PM +0200, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 23, 2004 at 09:04:47AM -0400, Marshall Lewis wrote:
> > Hate to be a pest, but where are the kernel-sourcecode packages? I tried
> > rawhide, but it doesn't look like it's picked it up yet.. maybe
> > download.fedora.redhat.com, but it's refusing connections at the moement
>
> we're phasing those out in favor of documenting how to use rpmbuild -bp on
> the .src.rpm; it's a bit silly to ship the same stuff twice really...

Hm, at least in the past these two were not precisely the same
although the bulk, clearly, was identical.  In ...<arch>.rpm there
were various bits-and-pieces build specific - like versioned
symbols.  A number of external modules have packaging which depend
on that and it simple to tell end user
"run 'rpmbuild --rebuild <this_package>.src.rpm' and you will end
up with modules for your current kernel".  It is more complicated
in the case of src.rpm and there is no way to check automatically
that 'rpmbuild -bp ...' was performed and on what and even if
a relevant src.rpm is around.  One can querry rpm otherwise.
So from POV of an end-user this is not that benign change as it
looks in the first glance and we hear all the time "disk space is
cheap" when complaining about some bulk monsters.  From some
postings it looks like that this change will spell serious trouble
even for some participants of this list.

OTOH resigning from src.rpm for a kernel is obviously not an option.

   Michal