kernel 2.6 and sata

Rio Baan riobaan at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 2 05:47:52 UTC 2004

I've got a Silicon image SATA RAID built-in on my ASUS P4G8X-Deluxe board,
and it just causes my install of Fedora Core 2 test1 to bomb out.
It gets as far as the gray init screen, and the dots stop swirling during
"Setting hostname". After that everything locks up.
Unplug the RAID, and presto! It boots OK (but with a few other errors)

Also, I'm a bit miffed that the installer for Fedora only party recognised
my RAID. My RAID is formatted in NTFS, so that's an excuse. However, when it
comes time for patitioning during install, a screen popped up saying
something akin to "Couldn't recognise hde and hdg, would you like to format
the drives and LOSE ALL DATA". which was a bit frightening. It knew there
were two drives there, but didn't think to figure out what was on them and
why.
Autopartition didn't even recognise the RAID's existance when confirming my
formatting options.
The box to hide/display LVM and RAID during that process seemed a bit
useless.

The whole SATA RAID thing is just my major sticking point with test1 at the
moment.