Wishfull Thinking (SPARC)

Tom 'spot' Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Thu Mar 4 16:29:48 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-03-04 at 09:55 -0600, David.Estacio at sycoleman.com wrote:

> I have read the schedule posted on the Fedora Project page and it
> indicates that there may be a SPARC architecture version of Fedora
> coming down the pipe.  Any news on this?

Well, so far, so good. The major errors so far are:

PIE support does not work on sparc at the moment. This means that every
Fedora package with PIE embedded into it has to be conditionalized for
sparc.

Building NPTL for sparcv9 requires glibc-kernheaders to be 2.6, not 2.4.
This also requires patching of things like util-linux and rhpl.

The 2.6 kernel, well, it has some eccentricities at the moment, such as
"cannot build kernel when booted into 2.6", that I'm trying to work out.

I've got a good amount of packages built, but the tree is not currently
installable. Nevertheless, I will get it out, even if it takes a little
longer than Fedora x86*.

~spot
---
Tom "spot" Callaway <tcallawa(a)redhat*com> LCA, RHCE
Red Hat Sales Engineer || Aurora SPARC Linux Project Leader

"The author's mathematical treatment of the conception of purpose is
novel and highly ingenious, but heretical and, so far as the present
social order is concerned, dangerous and potentially subversive. Not
to be published." -- Aldous Huxley's "Brave New World"