XFree86 4.4.0

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Sun Mar 7 00:37:19 UTC 2004

On Sat, Mar 06, 2004 at 08:28:03PM +0000, Paul wrote:
> Are there any plans to use XFree86 4.4 with FC2? I'm running it now and
> it is *way* better than the 4.3 branch in terms of speed, font
> reliability and window handling.

No distribution as far as I know plans to ship XFree 4.4. A tree without the
problematic changes is being maintained by 'everyone else' as the X.org tree
at freedesktop.org. I'm glad 4.4 is working well for you since it should mean
the x.org tree also does.

> I'm aware that there is something up with the licence not being 100%
> kosher with the GPL, but should that stop it? Apache has a wrangle and
> that is shipped.

Apache doesn't get linked with GPL apps (and Apache has always been GPL
non friendly because of other things our version links with). So the whole
"apache shock horror" thing has really had most people scratching their heads
attempting to understand why it is a story.

Alan