need help

Gene C. czar at czarc.net
Tue Mar 9 13:56:14 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 09 March 2004 03:57, Göbölös Zoltán wrote:
> This is my BIOS version:
>
> PhoenixBIOS 4.0 Release 6.0
> BIOS Revision: 1.02
> KBC/EC Revision: 1.00.02

Thanks for your help.

I seem to have a more recent BIOS (that does not make it "better").

I have finally found how to get the various "flavors" of Red Hat to install
... I have a purchased copy of Red Hat Professional Workstation (the limited
support version of RHEL 3) and put in a call to Red Hat support ... they did
come up with the answer ... pci=off nodma

I needed both for the install to work ... one or ther other does not do it.
It also appears that I need this when I boot the installed system.

I do not understand why Red Hat and Fedora systems need this and the other
distributions do not -- Mandrake 9.2, Gentoo 1.4, SuSE 9.0, SuSE LivEval
(bootable cdrom), knoppix (Debian based bootable cdrom).

There is scant information in the kernel Documentation so I am not exactly
sure just what these boot parameters do.

Gene