FC1 x86_64: LVM+RAID crashes under load

Douglas Kilpatrick kilpatds at oppositelock.org
Tue Mar 9 20:39:47 UTC 2004

> Nothing I have seen, but if you could send me the oops info (should be in
> messages or dmesg if gone from screen).  Also, detailed hardware specs,

The box locks up solid on this crash, so the oops info doesn't have a
chance to go anywhere.  I can copy down the parts of it that are still
on the screen, but its a deep stack trace, so important parts have
scrolled off.

I'll get you lspci/dmesg info this eve.  Basically, Tyan Tiger K8W, dual
244s, High Point "RocketRAID" controller (1540, I think.  The SATA
controller on the MB not supported by Fedora yet).  Video card is an
NVidia, but I'm not running X and don't have the module loaded.  Nothing
else in any of the PCI slots.  Didn't happen under the non-SMP kernel.
Two hard drives, each w/ four partitions:  swap, md2 (/boot), md1 (vg
Mirror), md0 (vg Stripe).

I'm jacking up the shmmax sysctl to allow pgbench to run.  I don't
remember the value off the top of my head.

Running "pgbench -c 2 -t 16384" will cause the box to go off into
no-man's land.

(I've also noticed highly-variant performance w/ pgbench. when it
doesn't lock.  Sometimes it will pull 1900 tps, sometimes 150.)

It does not crash when I boot the non-SMP kernel, and the benchmark
results are much more stable.

I've attached a file giving the postgres configuration / process for
blowing the box up in more detail.

Doug
kilpatds at oppositelock.org
Outta Control Racing, Inc.