amd_64 SATA status question

Wim Bakker koreander at planet.nl
Fri Mar 12 18:28:26 UTC 2004

On Friday 12 March 2004 01:23, Jason Knight wrote:
> How do you configure Grub for the bootup? (Ie: how do you know what
> drive Grub sees the sata drive as?)
>
> Wim Bakker wrote:
> >I have the S2875 with SI3114 running just fine with stock 2.6.3
> >kernel. I used an old small PATA drive to do the initial installation
> >, build a new kernel and than moved everything to the SATA
> >drive, and removed the old PATA drive. Runs fine.

This is my device map after run grub-install --recheck:
-------
(fd0)   /dev/fd0
(hd0)   /dev/sda
------

With scsi sata sil support enabled.

I don't think grub makes a difference between
a scsi and an ide drive that way, the first drive
is (hd0) , if there's also a PATA drive , that becomes
(hd0) and the SATA drive becomes (hd1) ,
grub lists ide drives first and then scsi drives , with
scsi sata support , sata drives become scsi drives.