My problems with FC2 test1

Thomas Molina tmolina at cablespeed.com
Sat Mar 13 13:06:33 UTC 2004

I installed FC2 test1 and had a few problems.  My system is an Athlox
XP2100+ on an Asus A7V133 motherboard.  The ethernet connection is an IBM
e100.  The soundcard is a Yamaha ymf754.  My boot hard drive is in a
removeable CD caddy because I fiddle with kernel development and other
projects which have the potential to destroy file systems.  Good backups
and the ability to quickly swap systems keep me going.  I have several
comments.

1.  The system was unable to configure/use my sound card.  I get no sound.
I am not sure what the problem is as I haven't really had a chance to look
into it.

2.  My system has Internet connectivity through a cable modem hooked into
a Linksys router.  When I attempt to contact the router by entering its ip
address into Mozilla I get connection a connection refused message.

3.  I am using the GUI tools to configure network settings, just as I do
in FC1.  If I configure a static ip address I get no Internet
connectivity.  ntpd fails at startup, and I get name resolution failures.
I cannot get past my internal network.  Reconfiguring things using dhcp
results in a working connection.  Before you ask, yes I do configure the
right gateway and DNS parameters.  The corresponding actions in FC1 work
as expected.

4.  Using up2date gives me unresolvable dependencies for libgstgconf and
libgstreame for updates on nautilus-media.  Removing nautilus,
nautilus-cd-burner, and nautilus-media doesn't help get past this.  I
recall there was a discussion about this earlier, but I don't have that on
hand.  Attempting to access the mailing list archives gives me a URL
unavailable error.

Can anyone offer suggestions on the above?