yum and up2date unexpectedly quit (librpmio issue, I think)

Jon jon at codenitro.com
Sun Mar 14 02:16:28 UTC 2004

Hi. I'm not sure exactly how this happened, but I was installing updates
with up2date (I think it included librpmio or something...) and it
unexpectedly quit. When I tried starting up2date again, it doesn't come
up like it usually does. I tried up2date from the terminal and get this
output:

[jon at localhost jon]$ up2date
Traceback (most recent call last):
 File "/usr/sbin/up2date", line 12, in ?
   import rpm
ImportError: /usr/lib/librpmio-4.3.so: symbol regexec, version
GLIBC_2.3.4 not defined in file libc.so.6 with link time reference

I tried updating from yum, and it comes out with the same output somewhat:

[jon at localhost jon]$ yum
Traceback (most recent call last):
 File "/usr/bin/yum", line 22, in ?
   import yummain
 File "/usr/share/yum/yummain.py", line 22, in ?
   import clientStuff
 File "/usr/share/yum/clientStuff.py", line 18, in ?
   import rpm
ImportError: /usr/lib/librpmio-4.3.so: symbol regexec, version
GLIBC_2.3.4 not defined in file libc.so.6 with link time reference

It seems to involve the same thing with rpmio, and I've tried searching
for a replacement version but can't even seem to find the RPM anywhere,
on the CDs or over the net. The command rpm works and most everything
else on the system seems to work, but it'd be really nice to get updates
working again. Is there a solution or some place where I can find a
replacement package? Thanks for the help.

-Jon MacG.
jon.plainculture.com