My problems with FC2 test1

Thomas Molina tmolina at cablespeed.com
Sun Mar 14 14:06:40 UTC 2004

On Sun, 14 Mar 2004, Jim Cornette wrote:

> >>I had to boot into that "other" (2.4) kernel version. I reset the router
> >>and tried other things to the router before I figured out the issue is
> >>with the 2.6 kernel.
> >>
> >>First broken 3com card, then "busted router" issues.
> >>
> >>Does anyone know if somethong has been submitted to linksys to correct
> >>the problem yet? (Firmware upgrade)

I don't know if anything has been submitted, but I checked to ensure I had
the latest version.  I do.  The update was from June of 2003 and the
release notes do not mention ECN at all.

> > I don't get this; if it worked with 2.4 and is broke with 2.6
> > then WTF does this have to do with linksys?  Sounds like it has
> > something to do with the Fedora updates included with this new
> > kernel version.  Am I correct in assuming that the kernel itself
> > is not being developed in the project?

It is even more interesting than that.  Fedora's 2.6 handles the issues
different than the Linus 2.6.  One of the experiments I did last night
tried to compare the two.  I keep up with development kernels, so I have a
bitkeeper 2.6 repository available.  For both the Fedora kernel and the
bitkeeper kernel I used the GUI tool to delete the existing network setup
and then recreated it.  Using the Fedora kernel I got no Internet
connectivity, even after turning off ECN.  If I used the bitkeeper kernel
I got full connectivity.  If I created the network/eth0 setup using the
bitkeeper kernel I even got good connectivity using the Fedora kernel.

I don't believe the Linksys was an issue in this test because I was using
static IP addresses.  If someone wants me to take the Linksys completely
out of the loop I can; I just need to arrange a time to take the rest of
the family off-line.

> I guess with ECN being set to off, it didn't matter that ECN was broken.
>   This is from what I read from other earlier email to this list or
> development.
>
> I went ahead and checked out the website for my router and flashed the
> december 2003 upgrade into it.

> I'll try to connect to the router from FC2 T1 using the 2.6 kernel and
> before running the command that was given earlier today to the list.
> echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_ecn
> This sounds easier than having to boot into windows or into a 2.4 kernel.
>
> Related to linksys. I saw some information related to GPL sources
> available and a penguin on their site. Has anyone used this gpl code and
> is it for the larger scale routers? Any luck with the source codes?

I looked at the page.  There isn't any code listed there for my Linksys,
so I haven't examined the code at all.  My router is a BEFSR41v2.