My problems with FC2 test1

Jim Cornette redhat-jc at insight.rr.com
Sun Mar 14 15:43:04 UTC 2004

Thomas Molina wrote:

> I don't know if anything has been submitted, but I checked to ensure I had
> the latest version.  I do.  The update was from June of 2003 and the
> release notes do not mention ECN at all.

I have the same version 1.45.7, Jul 31 2003 installed. I recently
submitted a comment to Linksys regarding the ECN issue.

>>>I don't get this; if it worked with 2.4 and is broke with 2.6
>>>then WTF does this have to do with linksys?  Sounds like it has
>>>something to do with the Fedora updates included with this new
>>>kernel version.  Am I correct in assuming that the kernel itself
>>>is not being developed in the project?
>

> It is even more interesting than that.  Fedora's 2.6 handles the issues
> different than the Linus 2.6.  One of the experiments I did last night
> tried to compare the two.  I keep up with development kernels, so I have a
> bitkeeper 2.6 repository available.  For both the Fedora kernel and the
> bitkeeper kernel I used the GUI tool to delete the existing network setup
> and then recreated it.

I have left my setups alone and can connect to the internet using DHCP
for both the external addresses and for the IP addresses that the
internal network gets assigned from the router. My problem is getting to
the router setup only. It seems to work fine with FC1, FC2 and
win-whatever machines.

  Using the Fedora kernel I got no Internet
> connectivity, even after turning off ECN.  If I used the bitkeeper kernel
> I got full connectivity.  If I created the network/eth0 setup using the
> bitkeeper kernel I even got good connectivity using the Fedora kernel.
>
> I don't believe the Linksys was an issue in this test because I was using
> static IP addresses.  If someone wants me to take the Linksys completely
> out of the loop I can; I just need to arrange a time to take the rest of
> the family off-line.
>

>>I guess with ECN being set to off, it didn't matter that ECN was broken.
>>  This is from what I read from other earlier email to this list or
>>development.
>>
>>I went ahead and checked out the website for my router and flashed the
>>december 2003 upgrade into it.

was actually 1.45.7, Jul 31 2003, (zip was from december 2003.)

>>I'll try to connect to the router from FC2 T1 using the 2.6 kernel and
>>before running the command that was given earlier today to the list.
>>echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_ecn
>>This sounds easier than having to boot into windows or into a 2.4 kernel.

I get an error without running the ecn command. I can access the router
page after running the command. FC2 T1 w/ kernel-2.6.3-2.1.253

>>Related to linksys. I saw some information related to GPL sources
>>available and a penguin on their site. Has anyone used this gpl code and
>>is it for the larger scale routers? Any luck with the source codes?
>

> I looked at the page.  There isn't any code listed there for my Linksys,
> so I haven't examined the code at all.  My router is a BEFSR41v2.

Same router that I have.

Jim