OT: redhat kernels correlation to "vanilla" kernels

Charles R. Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Fri Mar 19 00:33:04 UTC 2004

On Thu, Mar 18, 2004 at 03:24:48PM -0800, Mark Fonnemann wrote:
> i am trying to determine the source (and version #) correlation between the
> redhat kernels and the "vanilla" kernels. how do the redhat kernels correspond
> to the "vanilla" kernels hosted on kernel.org? e.g. the latest redhat kernel
> (to the best of my knowledge) is 2.6.3-2.1.253.2.1; i was recently informed on
> this list that the redhat kernel has been patched to be current with 2.6.4. is
> there a way to tell which kernel the redhat kernel is current with by either
> the version number or another method unknownst to me? i just checked kernel.org
> and it appears the latest is 2.6.5-rc1.

rpm -qpl kernel-2.6.3-2.1.253.2.1.src.rpm

That will show all sources in the kernel package, along with what
patches are in there.  Note that just because a patch is in the
src.rpm, doesn't mean it is applied in all cases.  Usually, though,
all patches are applied unless they are arch-specific.