Anyone have Tyan S2880 (Dual Opteron) and got the onboard broadcom adapters working?

Jason L Tibbitts III tibbs at math.uh.edu
Fri Mar 19 19:54:38 UTC 2004

SF> The 2882's are more interesting in that they aren't missing 2
SF> dimmn solts like the 2880.  Which is important if you are planning
SF> on using 16G of memory or NUMA.

Ah, you mean that kind of "interesting".  Sometimes it has a negative
connotation, sometimes not.  But the additional memory slots are why
I'm looking at these boards; we need to do 8GB but 2GB DIMMs are
prohibitively expensive.

SF> The 2882 are just as much a pain in the ass as any other amd64
SF> board.  Just be sure to use qualified dimmns and test the memory
SF> throughly even then.

I generally use Corsair DIMMs in servers and have never had a problem
with them.  Would you happen to know if these boards see any speed
improvement when using DDR333 or DDR400 DIMMs?

Fortunately I don't care about the SATA; these will be used
exclusively for computation so all I really care about is a PATA disk
to boot from, so it's just down to whether any of the three (!)
network ports work and whether I can get my compilers to run.  (We use
the Portland Group suite.)

 - J<