xorg-x11 post-install problems

Gary Peck gbpeck at sbcglobal.net
Sat Mar 20 02:15:22 UTC 2004

I just installed the latest xorg-x11 packages (xorg-x11-<...>.6). The
install went very well, removing the old XFree86 packages correctly.
However, I noticed a few problems afterwards (some have already been
mentioned on this list):

- xfs gets removed from chkconfig's management. I'm guessing that the
  "/sbin/chkconfig --del xfs" in XFree86-xfs's preuninstall gets run
  after "/sbin/chkconfig --add xfs" in xorg-x11-xfs's postinstall.

- As mentioned many times, /usr/X11R6/lib gets removed from
  /etc/ld.so.conf.

- Many video-related packages from freshrpms.net get removed. They all
  depend on aalib (also from freshrpms), which depends on XFree86. I'll
  email Matthias about this (if he's not on this list).

- I use <Win>-<Tab> to switch between applications. After logging into
  the new server, this no longer works. More specifically, letting go of
  <Win> doesn't remove the window list popup from the middle of the
  screen and doesn't actually switch to the selected application. I
  believe this is related to the next point:

- The <Win> key on my keyboard used to be recognized as Mod4 (according
  to xev). It is now recognized as Super_L. It's also no longer
  considered a modifier key.

gary