Strange package dependency problem

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Sun Mar 21 20:10:37 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-03-21 at 14:20 -0500, Swamper wrote:

> William Hooper wrote:
> > Swamper said:
> > > Then what is the point of this running daily?
> >
> > I wouldn't let a cron job update my system from a stable tree, let alone
> > from development.  How do you know what update broke your system?
>
> Why then is yum installed to run daily in the default setup for
> FC2 test 1?  Were we supposed to test that configuration or
> immediately disable it?  Will yum be part of the next release of
> Fedora?  Did Seth cause his program to be added to the daily
> cron run or was this a decision made by the project?

It's added there but read the job - it only runs if the yum init script
runs. Which it doesn't, by default.

the cron job is just for convenience.

> Did you really think I was serious about a program reading my
> mind?  How would updating packages that don't have dependency
> issues break my system?  I can understand yum not updating a
> package because it thinks there is a problem but, again, why
> abort the whole process because one package has a problem when
> there are several others waiting that will update just fine?

B/c an update is a single transaction. Either the transaction fails or
it succeeds.

> Yep.  You want status reports.  I want results.

you seem to just want to complain w/o offering real help to solve this
supposed problem.

-sv