Setting sound level on startup

Gene Smith gds at chartertn.net
Mon Mar 22 04:44:08 UTC 2004

Steve Bergman wrote, On 03/21/2004 11:44 AM:
 > I'm running current rawhide with snd-emu10k1.  I see that in
 > /etc/init.d/halt, the mixer settings are saved in /etc/.aumixrc.
 >
 > However sound level is still set to 0 after the system comes up and I
 > log in.
 >
 > It looks to me like there are several simple things wrong here.
 >
 > I see a line in /etc/rc.d/rc.local:
 >
 > aumix-minimal
 >
 > To be honest, I can't remember whether I added that line or if it came
 > with iniscripts.  Anyway shouldn't that be "aumix -L /etc/aumixrc"

I was wondering why every time I booted into FC2 I had to fix my sound
setting again. Thanks for finding this!
Anyhow, I changed /etc/init.d/halt to save to /etc/aumixrc (not a hidden
file). And I added "aumix -L >/dev/null" into /etc/rc.d/rc.local and it
now works ok and keeps sound levels after reboot. (Not sure that the
/dev/null really necessary.)

 > And shouldn't the line in S01halt be:
 >
 > aumix-minimal -S /etc/aumixrc instead of aumix-minimal -S /etc/.aumixrc
 >
 > (/etc/aumixrc is the default config file for aumix.)
 >
 > For that matter, shouldn't "aumix-minimal -L" run in Xsession to set the
 > user's saved volume level?  (But only if $DISPLAY is local)

I think you are saying that sound level setting should be set for each
user, not just globally in /etc/aumixrc but in ~/.aumixrc. Do you know
exactly how this could/should be done?

Tks,
-gene