mkinitrd... syntax

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Wed Mar 24 21:21:46 UTC 2004

James Olin Oden <joden at lee.k12.nc.us> writes:

> Hmmm...odd.  Run strace -p on the process and see what its up to.
>
> Cheers...james
>> ps wwaux reports a total of 2 pids for that command 1 minute apart
>> but `top' doesn't report any activity on them

This turned out to be something unrelated to mkinitrd... still not
sure what it was but many other things failed too.  A reboot into a
prior kernel cleared it up.... Followed by a custom build on
 2.6.4-1.286custom
And all is well.  Didn't need to build my own initrd after all but
still nice to know the correct syntax... Thanks to all who posted.