new kernels, cifs and new webmin

Bart Kalita bartk at clara.co.uk
Sat Mar 27 13:52:58 UTC 2004

Harry Putnam wrote:

>Bart Kalita <bartk at clara.co.uk> writes:
>

>>but, there is still a problem with mounting windows shares.
>>
>>Error I'm geting here is: invalid or missing username
>>
>>strange since everything works fine with the same credentials once I rebuild Kernel with smbmnt support.
>>
>>anybody knows where the problem might be?
>>

>So are you able to supply a username and then it mounts?
>
>If so, is it writable?  I ask because I've been consistently able to
>mount with cifs but cannot write to the mounted fs.  And like you,
>enabling smbfs in kernel and it works like always... that is, read
>write is seamless.
>
>Can you post your mount command?
>
>Mine from fstab:
>(wrapped for mail)
>//exp-xp/J-ahn-d  /mnt/J-ahn-d  cifs
>  noauto,username=Harry,password=""

I've lost ability to mount cifs shares  after updating to  2.6.4... 286
Kernel.

Error  I was getting while trying to mount with following command was

mount -t cifs -o username=john //hades/music /home/bart/music/

permission denied  ( error 13  )

I've tried newest webmin  and that  did not help but at least I got
closer to the centre of the problem,  while tring to mount cifs the
error was:
invalid or missing  username.

Since  there was no problem  in mounting  cifs before Kernel  ... 286
and there is no problem  in mounting  my  MS  shares with smbmnt using
the same credentials.  I assume that there is  a change  in the way
that  Test  1  is passing  cifs  login details to windows machines.

as to the writeability,  I never got  the ability to write to shares
made via cifs , shares made  via smbmnt  are writeable.

Bart Kalita  MCP

Registered Linux user #347493   Fedora Core 2

www.bart-domain.com    www.astradine.no-ip.org