unable to load snd-emu10k1 for soundcard in core2 test1

Andy Ross andy at plausible.org
Sun Mar 28 19:42:08 UTC 2004

Mike Jensen wrote:
> Yea it is in the kernel i knew that....but it dosent work and thats
> what i don't understand.  I can not hear the test sound and I am
> unable to get oggs to play in xmms...no matter what output plugin i
> use.  I have a feeling this is a bug of some kind.

I have a SBLive which is is working fine under the fc2 module.  I did
notice that unlike previous distribution versions, the sound
configuration wanted to detect and enabled my motherboard audio (VIA
KT333) as the default device, however.  Previous versions seemed happy
to ignore the builtin hardware.

I didn't investigate to see if there were any actual issues with
having both hardware devices or not; I just disabled it in the BIOS.
The old BIOS setting was "auto", which presumably disables it at boot.
Is it possible that the kernel is incorrectly re-enabling the hardware
on the chipset and confusing the audio drivers?

Andy