failure mounting a PLEXTOR CD-R PX-320A

Joao Palhoto Matos jmatos at math.ist.utl.pt
Wed Mar 31 09:50:18 UTC 2004

Hello:

Can someone offer some advice on this one before I dive into bugzilla or
start swapping hardware?

I have a PLEXTOR CD-R which seems to be correctly identified by the
hardware browser as a PLEXTOR CD-R PX-320A which used to perform well
but not frequently (I believe it worked with FC2T1).

Currently mount attempts by root give

[root at a213-22-64-242 root]# mount /dev/cdrom
mount: /dev/cdrom is not a valid block device

/dev/cdrom is a symbolic link to /dev/hdc

Line in /etc/fstab is
/dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom              udf,iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0
and was freshly included by kudzu.

Failure happens both with
kernel-2.6.4-1.281
and
kernel-2.6.3-2.1.253.2.1

This is a i386 FC2T2 system (I am not particularly fond of testing
anaconda and burning CDs except for the occasional data backup so I got
here all the way from RH9 using up2date / apt / yum and, hardly using CDs,
not going through any kind of OS install and reading the list; I am
mentioning this because lots of people on this list seem to be unaware of
the possibility and become quite upset with failed CD boots for
installation...).

--
João Palhoto Matos                     http://www.math.ist.utl.pt/~jmatos
Departamento de Matemática