Adding packages via yum

Michael Stenner mstenner at ece.arizona.edu
Sat May 1 22:31:09 UTC 2004

On Sat, May 01, 2004 at 04:49:08PM -0400, Trey Sizemore wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-04-30 at 09:05, Wayne Steenburg wrote:
> Well, I've been using the yum.conf I've posted earlier in the thread,
> and I'm still getting 'retrygrab() failed for:' messages on all my
> mirrors.  Someone have a yum.conf that's working for them that I could
> try?

A couple of notes:

1) Providing the end of the error (where it says specifically what
   went wrong) is more illuminating than saying "getting 'retrygrab()
   failed for' messages".  Now, you posted the entire error in the
   original message, so I'm not chastising you... just offering
   general advice to the community :)

2) Adding a baseurl is not (and should not be perceived to be)
   mysterious.  The baseurl is simply the location where "headers/"
   lives.  So, when I see this:

     retrygrab() failed for:
       http://rpmfind.net/linux/fedora/core/1.92/i386/os/headers/header.info
       Executing failover method
     failover: out of servers to try
     Error getting file
     http://rpmfind.net/linux/fedora/core/1.92/i386/os/headers/header.info
     [Errno 4] IOError: HTTP Error 404: Not Found

   then I know your baseurl is:
     http://rpmfind.net/linux/fedora/core/1.92/i386/os/

   My point is this: If you want to use a given mirror but they've
   changed their filesystem layout, or someone gave you a bad baseurl,
   you need only find the place where the headers/ dir lives.  You can
   usually do this in about 60 seconds with your favorite browser.

   I almost NEVER bother looking for a yum.conf snippet or documented
   baseurl.  I find it much faster to simply browse the repo looking
   for the headers dir.

I hope this is useful.
				-Michael

  Michael D. Stenner                            mstenner at ece.arizona.edu
  ECE Department, the University of Arizona                 520-626-1619
  1230 E. Speedway Blvd., Tucson, AZ 85721-0104                 ECE 524G