header/RPM mismatch

shrek-m at gmx.de shrek-m at gmx.de
Sun May 2 00:22:39 UTC 2004

Michael Stenner wrote:

>On Fri, Apr 30, 2004 at 01:25:20PM -0400, Fulko.Hew at sita.aero wrote:
>

>>If yum is not to replace up2date for updating, then why does it exist?
>>

>Well, I'm not even sure up2date existed when Seth started hacking on
>yum.  When up2date came into common use, many people preferred yum
>because it let you use multiple repositories and didn't require you to
>pay to set up your own server.  Maybe up2date satisfies this now as
>well.  I don't know, but the list goes on and on.  I'm sure up2date
>has features that some people really like, as well.

i do not know when  seth  started with yum
but rhn-applet and up2date are doing a good job since a few years for me

$ cat /etc/redhat-release
Red Hat Linux release 7.3 (Valhalla)
$ rpm -qf `which rhn-needed-packages up2date`
rhn-applet-1.0.6-11
up2date-gnome-2.8.40-3.7.3

on fc1

$ rpm -q up2date yum rhn-applet