Scanner Hotplug change

Jim Cornette redhat-jc at insight.rr.com
Wed May 5 01:36:19 UTC 2004

I tested out the addition of the hotplug recognition to the change to
sane-backends and think that this is easier than opening up a root
terminal, locating which usb device is your scanner, then changing the
file permissions on the usb device.

The only drawbacks are that most people that will try out Fedora Core 2
will not realize that the device needs to be unplugged after you get
control of the console. (GUI I presume, or is it the first terminal
logged in?)

Anyway, the scanner was 004 before unplugging it from the hub, then
replugging it in, then clicking on the icon to launch xsane. Now it is
recognized as 006.

I think that this needed step should be added to the readme for the
release. I am starting to see why this is such a problem. (All usb other
devices are set to 644 and owned by root. So why would a USB device,
such as a scanner be treated differently?)

Jim

-rw-r--r--  1 root root 43 May  4 20:53 /proc/bus/usb/001/001
-rw-r--r--  1 root root 43 May  4 20:53 /proc/bus/usb/001/002
-rw-r--r--  1 root root 50 May  4 20:53 /proc/bus/usb/001/003
-rw-r--r--  1 root root 50 May  4 20:53 /proc/bus/usb/001/005
-rw-------  1 jim  root 57 May  4 21:00 /proc/bus/usb/001/006