cyrus-imap

Roger Grosswiler roger at gwch.net
Fri May 7 05:50:16 UTC 2004

Yes, they build their own package, but this works quite well. I just described once a very small workaround, where you
IMHO should get your auth within 5 minutes up und running:

1) in /etc/sysconfig/saslauthd: make sure your MECH-line looks like this:
MECH=pam

2) in /etc/imapd.conf adjust the sasl_pwcheck_method and the sasl_mech_list as followed:
sasl_pwcheck_method: saslauthd
sasl_mech_list: PLAIN

3) make sure, that saslauthd has been started. if not, start it with /sbin/service saslauthd start. Do no forget to
chkconfig --level 2345 saslauthd on, if saslauthd does not start automatically.

4) start or restart your cyrus-server. try now again to 'telnet hostname imap'. if you get connected to it, input the
following: a01 login username "password" . This tries to authenticate to the cyrus imap-daemon, where username is a
existing username and password is its password, written as you see with "", otherwise it won't work.

5) you should now get this: a01 OK User logged in - means you successed. so, you can type a02 logout, this will quit
the connection to cyrus and telnet regulary.

Let me know whether it is working or now.

HTH
Roger