Wine

Gerry Tool gstool at earthlink.net
Fri May 7 12:46:13 UTC 2004

Paul wrote:
> Hi,
>

>>>setarch i686 wine notepad
>>>you may need to install setarch
>>
>>Is there an explanation somewhere of why this works?
>

> IIRC, it stops the prelinking which seems to be the root of the problem
>
> TTFN
>
> Paul

The following is from Codeweavers FAQ for Crossover Office:

6.1.1.1. Why doesn't CrossOver work on Fedora and RedHat Enterprise Linux 3?

With the Fedora and RHEL 3 releases, RedHat has introduced two new
features to their Linux: 'prelink' and 'exec shield'. Unfortunately both
completely break Wine and therefore CrossOver.

We are still working to better understand the problem but the current
workaround is to disable both.

To disable prelink, edit /etc/sysconfig/prelink and change 'yes' to
'no'. Then manually run /etc/cron.daily/prelink as root.

To disable exec shield edit /etc/rc.d/rc.local and add the line

echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/exec-shield

This will turn exec shield off at boot time, to turn it off now type the
following command as root

# echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/exec-shield

  On Redhat Enterprise Linux 3 you will need to run the following
command in the same terminal you launch OfficeSetup or a Crossover based
application.

$ ulimit -s unlimited

The above command only affects the shell that it is run in.

Hope this helps.

Gerry Tool