Latex (tetex) and utf8

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Mon May 10 15:56:39 UTC 2004

On Sun, May 09, 2004 at 09:48:50PM -0400, Wojciech Fraczak wrote:
> I somehow managed to install latex-ucs files by coping them into
> /usr/share/texmf/ tree. Do you know a better way?

Certainly.  A file texmf.cnf puts into a search patch TEXMFLOCAL
(and HOMETEXMF for really "private" additions).  TEXMFLOCAL is
defined, in texmf.cnf, as /usr/local/share/texmf and a system-wide
"extras", where it could be tons of these for different reasons, go
into that tree with a structure which mimics the one you can find
under /usr/share/texmf/.  The later is reserved for a "standard"
stuff and it can be totally clobbered on the next update.

Besides no TeX installation is really complete before a run of
'texconfig' but I do not see a way to put that into a package
(maybe a note to that effect in a "description" section?).
Peeking into texmf.cnf also can be educational.

   Michal