Fedora and 4GB of Memory.

reg at dwf.com reg at dwf.com
Tue May 11 00:46:11 UTC 2004

I have a machine here that has 4GB of memory.

I put Fedora2 Test1 on it, and found that 'free' only shows
2.8GB of memory.

I also found that while the 2.4.x kernel told you how much
memory it was seeing as it booted, that the 2.6.x kernel
doesn't, so I don't have a cross check on 'free'.

I rebuilt the 2.6.x kernel, turning the 16GB flag to 4GB,
but got essentially the same result (2.8GB) from 'free'.

So, whats up?
Is Fedora REALLY only seeing (and using) 2.8GB?
Is this some sort of weird round off error because of 32 bits?
Is there some OTHER program out there that also reports the amount
of CPU memory, and that might calm my fears that Fedora isnt/cant
see all of my memory?

What to do?

--
                                        Reg.Clemens