imap server - Dovecot or WU-imap

Paul Iadonisi pri.rhl2 at iadonisi.to
Tue May 11 17:11:27 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-05-11 at 12:49, Michal Jaegermann wrote:
> On Tue, May 11, 2004 at 10:35:54AM -0400, whb at ceimaine.org wrote:
> > Looks like there are no good answers, but most people seem to think that
> > an upgrade to cyrus is a good choice.
>
> Let say it that way.  Among many other considerations - until
> procmail has a way to handle cyrus boxes the later is many light
> years from beeing suitable for what I need.

  Sieve does most of what procmail does and is what I would recommend
for use with cyrus-imapd.  It's on the standards track (if not already a
standard) to boot.  See RFC3028.

> I may be mistaken about capabilities of procmail, although this
> does not seem to be the case, but so much for a "good choice".
> Still we are not condemned to cyrus.

  Condemned?  A bit harsh, now, aren't we?  Point taken, however.  Cyrus
imapd is overkill and overly complex for small installations but highly
suitable, IMO, for larger installations.

--
-Paul Iadonisi
 Senior System Administrator