Fedora Core 2 feedback (user perspective)

Robert La Ferla robertlaferla at comcast.net
Fri May 14 00:10:54 UTC 2004

Although, I am a developer, as a user, I would really like to see
Mozilla come better configured with the Java, and Flash plug-ins
pre-installed.  RealPlayer would be a plus.  Or at least somehow make
installation/configuration easier for users.  I'm not sure how much
control Fedora developers have over this but it would make Fedora much
more user friendly.  I also think that putting at least one DVD player
(like Xine) in the distro would be a good thing.  A user should be able
to install Fedora, and pop-in a DVD to watch it.  If you want to select
a different DVD player that can be an option.  Sound configuration is a
currently nightmare.  I'm not sure exactly why but I think it maybe an
OSS vs. ALSA issue.  For example, I have a Shuttle with a SPDIF digital
output.  I should be able to watch a DVD with Dolby Digital or DTS audio
without having to spend a week tweaking configuration files.