Booting from Ultra ATA Controller -> Kernel Panic

Hannes Mayer h.mayer at inode.at
Fri May 14 16:14:11 UTC 2004

Hi all!

Today I bought an additional IDE controller
(ULTRA ATA - 133 PCI Controller  - no other brand visible).
Now my machine looks like the following:

Motherboard-controller:
Primary HD (windoze) + Secondary HD (data on NTFS)

New IDE controller:
Fedora HD as master

My BIOS recognizes the controller
   IT8212 ATAPI BIOS V1.4.1.2
it is scanning the bus, gets the Fedora HD on the controller
and I can boot from the Fedora HD via BIOS boot options.
The GRUB screen comes up, but then:

mkrootdev: label / not found
mount: error 2 mounting ext3
pivotroot: pivot_root(/sysroot,/sysroot/initrd) failed: 2
umount /initrd/proc failed: 2
Freeing unused kernel memory: 148k freed
Kernel panic: No init found. Try passing init= option to kernel

I tried to remove the root= option from the line in GRUB as mentioned
in some earlier posts, aswell as adding hdc=ide-scsi, but no avail...

Any ideas on how to get the kernel to recognize / ?
Thanks a lot in advance!

Cheers,
Hannes.

PS: Before I got the controller card, I had the Fedora HD as secondary
on the motherboard controller and it booted just fine with the BIOS
boot options.