Working Firewire in FC2?

D. D. Brierton darren at dzr-web.com
Fri May 14 18:51:39 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-05-14 at 19:29, Dave Jones wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-05-14 at 17:05, raxet wrote:
> > It's more a less a matter of kernel version. In the case of FC2 release,
> > firewire will not be a hot item (sorry for the pun). You see somewhere back
> > in kernel 2.6.4 or 2.6.3 something broke and therefore while you
> > Can make custom kernels and make Firewire work, RH (in their infinite
> > Wisdom) has decided to frost Firewire in release of FC2.
> >
> > It's really a simple move. However I feel it was a WRONG move. :)
>
> So maybe you'd prefer it if we'd shipped FC2 with it enabled so you
> could whine along the lines of..
>
> "I can't even install FC2, it boots up, finds the firewire controller
> and kernel panics, because RH (in their infinite wisdom) left it enabled
> whilst it was broken."
>
> There's no conspiracy here, firewire users are a minority , and until
> the code is fixed so that it doesn't break for users that don't even
> have any firewire devices, it won't get enabled.
>
> Too late for FC2, but today it seems someone has actually found the
> reason for this problem, and a fix got committed to CVS earlier this
> afternoon.  This may mean that in an update kernel, we can reenable
> firewire.

That's encouraging to hear. I am not one of the ones who think you made
a wrong call with this -- if it's genuinely broken then it should have
been temporarily disabled. However, I am also one of the ones who
*needs* it working -- no, I'm not just using it for my digital video
camera, I don't even have one! But as my workstation has neither SCSI or
USB 2 but does have FireWire I have a number of external drives/burners
that I need to be able to use. Which means I will have to hold off from
FC2 until FireWire is working again.

Given that, what will be the best channel/list to track for if/when
FireWire gets re-enabled? I hope there will be some kind of announcement
somewhere if an errata kernel is released with FireWire enabled by
default.

Best, Darren

D. D. Brierton            darren at dzr-web.com          www.dzr-web.com