SOLVED: Booting from Ultra ATA Controller -> Kernel Panic

Hannes Mayer h.mayer at inode.at
Sat May 15 07:04:38 UTC 2004

Hannes Mayer wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> Today I bought an additional IDE controller
> (ULTRA ATA - 133 PCI Controller  - no other brand visible).
> Now my machine looks like the following:
>
> Motherboard-controller:
> Primary HD (windoze) + Secondary HD (data on NTFS)
>
> New IDE controller:
> Fedora HD as master
>
> My BIOS recognizes the controller
>   IT8212 ATAPI BIOS V1.4.1.2
> it is scanning the bus, gets the Fedora HD on the controller
> and I can boot from the Fedora HD via BIOS boot options.
> The GRUB screen comes up, but then:
>
> mkrootdev: label / not found
> mount: error 2 mounting ext3
> pivotroot: pivot_root(/sysroot,/sysroot/initrd) failed: 2
> umount /initrd/proc failed: 2
> Kernel panic: No init found. Try passing init= option to kernel

Here is the solution :-)

I booted the fedora HD as slave of the motherboard controller:

# lspci -v

[...]
02:0b.0 Unknown mass storage controller: Integrated Technology Express, Inc.
    IT/ITE8212 Dual channel ATA RAID controller (PCI version seems to be IT8212,
    embedded seems (rev 11)
         Subsystem: Integrated Technology Express, Inc.: Unknown device 0001
         Flags: bus master, 66Mhz, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 11
         I/O ports at a800
         I/O ports at ac00 [size=4]
         I/O ports at b000 [size=8]
         I/O ports at b400 [size=4]
         I/O ports at b800 [size=16]

# joe -w grub.conf

title Fedora Core (2.6.5-1.356)
         root (hd0,0)
         kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.5-1.356 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet selinux=0 ide2=0xa800,0xac02
         initrd /initrd-2.6.5-1.356.img

The formula: ide2=A,B+2
where A is the address of the first I/O port and B the address of the second I/O port plus 2.
(fedora HD as master on the master IDE port on the controller card)

Cheers,
Hannes.