Red Hat Introduces Desktop Linux Competitor

Paul Bender pbender at qualcomm.com
Sat May 15 14:32:53 UTC 2004

jim tate wrote:

> Why is it, that Redhat so dislikes KDE? the number one
> choice of linux users.
>
> I read this article, and I assumed that they will still offer KDE
> as a optional install in Fedora2.
> Every time Redhat makes a move, it's counter to the majority of
> the linux community. I am for them making money and staying
> in business, but WOW the way they go about it.
>
> Jim Tate

Just because they chose GNOME over KDE does not mean that they hate KDE.

When it comes to IT support within an organization, choice can be a bad
thing. Choice can increase the cost and confuse the average user. To the
average user, the desktop is the OS. Therefore, the difference between
KDE and GNOME is the same as the difference between Windows and MacOS.
Therefore, from a practical standpoint, they needed to pick one desktop.

You can argue no about why they chose GNOME over KDE. However, they made
that choice several releases ago, so I doubt that they will change their
direction now.