Unable to boot on WinXP after Fedora Core 2 test3 install

shrek-m at gmx.de shrek-m at gmx.de
Sat May 15 21:04:03 UTC 2004

Marco Bicca wrote:

> At 19:21 05-15-2004 +0200, you wrote:
>
> Ok .. here is my setup:
>
> 2 120GB Harddrives on a Promise Controller as HDE and HDG
>
> I have Fedora on HDE and WinXP on HDG
>
> If I do not hide the partitions under HDE I couldn't boot to WinXP
> (Don't know why)

windows set the priority in a  physical/filesystem  mixture.
afair:
the first hd, first primary partition, first ntfs partition is C:
the second hd, first primary partition, first ntfs partition is D:
i can not remeber how windows is setting the priority with
fat-vfat-partitions and scsi/ide mixture

could it be that win-xp is seeing now the partitions created by anaconda,
as the result the  boot.ini  is misconfigured
and XP is trying to boot from the wrong disk/partition eg.  hde1
instead  hdg1 ?

can you show us your  c:\boot.ini ?
thanks

afair:
multi(0) = 1. controller
disk(0)  = 1. ide-hd
rdisk(0) = 1. scsi-hd
partition(1) = 1. partition

> The partition that I have on HDG is NTFS, after I did that change it's
> working beautifully ...
>
> I don't have any extended partitions on any hard drive all partitions
> are primary I have two partitions on HDE

unhide(hd0,0)(hd0,1) = XP is unbootable
    because XP can see this disk/partitions and the  boot.ini  is fault ?
hide  = XP is bootable
    because  the boot.ini  is ok

> and one partition on HDG.

which should be in your  boot.ini  surely the first hd, first
primary-bootable-ntfs-partition

evtl. multi(1) ?
----
c:\boot.ini
[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
Professional" /fastdetect
----

> HDE
> / - ext3 - primary
> swap - primary
> HDG
> ntfs - primary
>
> Let me know if you need anything else :)
> Thanks,
>
>> Marco Bicca wrote:
>>
>>> I have an installation with Windows XP and Fedora Core 2 Test 3 and
>>> my Windows option inside grub looks like:
>>>
>>> rootnoverify (hd1,0)
>>> unhide (hd1,0)
>>> hide (hd0,0)
>>> hide (hd0,1)