Serious reservations about FC2 release on 5/18

Michael Stenner mstenner at ece.arizona.edu
Mon May 17 22:01:45 UTC 2004

On Mon, May 17, 2004 at 03:50:23PM -0400, Sean Estabrooks wrote:
> On Mon, 17 May 2004 12:44:18 -0700
> Michael Stenner <mstenner at ece.arizona.edu> wrote:
>
> > But they do not CLAIM to support it.  This would be a different issue
> > if FC2 clearly said that your windows partition would be un-bootable.
> > Instead, it offers to set it up for you.

> No they don't.  There is no support at all for anything in Fedora.
> AT ALL.  Nothing.  If it breaks, you own both halves.

I do not mean support in the legal sense.  I mean support in the "do
it" sense, as in "lynx supports https".  The installer offers to set
up a dual boot system.  When asked to do so, it apparently hoses your
system.

> Everyone wants a good working system.  We're all here to work
> towards a better system.  The point is that whining is unproductive.
> Help the developers solve the problem or be quiet until it's fixed.

A valuable part of fixing bugs is analysis of the importance of
those bugs.  Such discussion is quite valuable, and is not the same as
whining.

You seemed to be suggesting that this issue was not a problem.
Specifically, I felt that your comparison to windows's lack of
dual-boot-friendliness incorrectly characterized this as a matter of
"not supporting" dual boot.  It is more severe than that.  This is not
a feature request for allowing dual boot.  This appears to be a
disk-corruption issue which renders some machines unusable.

					-Michael
  Michael D. Stenner                            mstenner at ece.arizona.edu
  ECE Department, the University of Arizona                 520-626-1619
  1230 E. Speedway Blvd., Tucson, AZ 85721-0104                 ECE 524G