FC2: VI and cursor key-error

Michael Wardle michael at endbracket.net
Fri May 21 08:00:42 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-05-21 at 17:29, Götz Reinicke wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I installed Fedora Core 2 on a server.
>
> Now if I try to edit anything by vi, I can't use my cursorkeys in the
> insert mode anymore:
>
> Down = B
> Up = A
> Left = D
> Right = C

It may be that your Vi is Vim in backwards compatible mode.  Try setting
either nocompatible or esckeys and see if cursor keys then work.  If so,
have a look at your ~/.vimrc and /etc/vimrc to enable them by default.

Personally, I get used to Vi being vanilla Vi, and always issue "vim" if
I want Vim's extra features.  I think Red Hat/Fedora aliases vi to vim
out of the box, however, so on Fedora 2 I'm not sure if there's supposed
to be any difference.  If you want to dig this deep, also have a look at
Vim's compatible help page and the /etc/profile.d directory.

--
Mike