[Core2Test3] Installation - No Fedora Core CD

Alan alan at clueserver.org
Mon May 31 19:45:52 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-05-02 at 05:47, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Sun, May 02, 2004 at 04:39:23AM -0700, Stefan Lecho wrote:
> > Using the proposed solution in the release notes
> > (pci=off idel=0x180,0x386), leads to the following
> > error message: "EIP is at pci_read 0x1a/0x21 ...
> > Kernel panic: Attempted to kill init"
>
> Duplicated.
>
> The PCI layer in test3 is being called even when PCI methods are
> not available:
>
> 	pcibios_irq_init
> 	pirq_peer_trick
> 	.. boom
>
> This prevents installation on things like older sony Vaio boxes. Someone
> broke the handling of machines without PCI between test2 and test3.

Is this problem ever going to be fixed?  I have tried the install on
older versions with the same problem and I can get the system installed,
but any pcmcia usage of the cd-rom requires turning pci off.  (And it is
*real* slow.)

Just wondering if it is worth my time.  (Since I will have to grab the
cd ISOs instead of the DVD one I already have.)

It would be nice to me able to use something other than Redhat 7.3 on my
Sony Vaio 505ve.  (Hacked far beyond warranty.)

If I could afford another laptop, I would upgrade. I don't see that
happening this year, unless I find different employment.

--
"Australia was founded as a penal colony.
 America was founded as an insane asylum."