fc3test upgrade to fc3 final

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Mon Nov 1 22:31:11 UTC 2004

On Monday 01 November 2004 18:00, Elliot Lee wrote:

> > And what should be my expectation for rc releases?
>
> The same... "It ain't over till it's over."

This argument about the danger of upgrading is often given,
but I have never seen the opposite danger of a new installation spelt out.

In my experience, the kernel in new installations frequently does not work -
I haven't seen any kernel since Redhat-8.0 which ran
on my not very unusual SCSI-only machine.
I've also had problems with the kernels in new installations
on my Sony Picturebooks.

Perhaps I am atypical, but I have found
that the chances of a new installtion running
are much lower than the chances of an upgrade running -
because I can choose an old kernel I know to work with an upgrade.

Also of course if an upgrade does not work
one can always try a clean installation,
while the converse is not possible.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366