FC3 RC5 - Networked LPD server printing still not working.

Phil Schaffner P.R.Schaffner at IEEE.org
Tue Nov 2 03:38:16 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-10-30 at 14:48 -0500, Gerry Tool wrote:
> Stephen J. Smoogen wrote:
>
> >On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 13:24:09 -0500, Gerry Tool <gstool at earthlink.net> wrote:
... snip ...
> >>On a tip from Steven Schwartz, I found that if I execute
> >>
> >>/sbin/service iptables off

Possibly you mean

# service iptables stop

and

# chkconfig iptables off

to keep it from coming back on the next reboot.

> >>printing to the remote LPD server works.
> >>
> >>Of course this is not a valid fix.  Any ideas of a correct way to solve
> >>the problem?
> >
> >What level of the firewall did you select on the install. It might be
> >a valid fix if you set the highest level :).
> >
> I accepted the default.  Steven Schwartz came up with a change to
> /etc/sysconfig/iptables that allows my print server to finally work.
> See the most recent comment in bugzilla #133064.

Setting eth0 as a trusted device (comment 33 in BZ 133064) is
essentially the same as turning off the firewall if that is your only
interface.  Good firewall rules would be preferable, unless you REALLY
trust your hardware firewall.  Which begs the question - what is a good
firewall tool for FC3?  Have been unable to get firestarter to work.
Compiles, but hangs when executed.

Phil