Issue in glibc in FC3T3 ?

Ron Yorston rmy at tigress.co.uk
Tue Nov 2 09:50:22 UTC 2004

>Elliot Lee <sopwith at redhat.com> wrote:
>On Thu, 28 Oct 2004, Kim Lux (Mr.) wrote:
>
>> I did a freshen of both Qt and Glibc and now I've got prelink and ld
>> running as root !!!!???? Prelink is stealing all my cpu cycles.  What is
>> up with that ?  I finally had to kill it..
>
>prelink speeds up app startup - it does the work once to save startup
>times repeatedly.

I'm not convinced, for my pattern of usage at least, that the game is
worth the candle.  On my laptop I start my desktop, a few xterms and
maybe Mozilla, then leave them running.  Any time that might be saved
on startup is outweighed by the inconvenience of having the system become
unresponsive when anacron kicks in to perform the prelinking.  Which
always seems to happen at the most awkward moment.  (Yes, I know I can
turn it off.  And I have.)

Prelink seems to do an enormous amount of work when it runs.  Have the
developers checked that all of this effort is really necessary?

What might help would be the ability to limit the resources (CPU, disk
I/O, whatever) that are used by background processes.  Nice is nice, but
not powerful enough.  Something like cpucap

   http://www.rshk.co.uk/projects/cpucap/

would seem to be a better option.

Ron