Recognising Partitions

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Tue Nov 2 20:28:03 UTC 2004

On Tue, Nov 02, 2004 at 01:23:51PM -0500, David Zeuthen wrote:

> It did disappear on purpose, however you may remove this section
>
>   <!-- Dont want to mount non-hotpluggable fixed disks since ideraid
>        detection isnt complete as hald wrongly detects e.g. partitions
>        from some IDE RAID controllers -->
>   <device>
>     <match key="storage.hotpluggable" bool="false">
>       <match key="storage.removable" bool="false">
>         <merge key="storage.policy.should_mount"
> type="bool">false</merge>
>       </match>
>     </match>
>   </device>
>
> from your /usr/share/hal/fdi/90systempolicy/storage-policy.fdi but do
> note that this may be replaced on hal updates.

A question.  If one will drop into /usr/share/hal/fdi/95....
a .fdi file which looks like that fragment above but with

    <merge key="storage.policy.should_mount"
           type="bool">true</merge>

will be this not an override for whatever happen to be system
defaults?

> (right now we may wrongly add entries for block devices stemming from
> IDE RAID controllers, that's partly why we pulled this feature).

As far as I understand this is only one of possible nasty suprises
with "should_mount" set to widely to "true".  Some of them we may
yet to see. :-)

OTOH if there would be application allowing 'root' to generate
these XML files without doing that "raw", and while presenting a
clear picture of keys and values, that would be nice.

   Michal