yum upgrade?

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Wed Nov 3 19:29:13 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-11-03 at 19:50 +0100, Truls Gulbrandsen wrote:

> Hi,
> I am planning to upgrade my laptop (TP23) from fc2 to fc3.  Since I
> don't have /home as seperate partition I was thinking of doing av yum
> upgrade rather than a clean install.  What are the pros and cons for
> this procedure?  Would an upgrade from a cd better or different?
> Would it work to repartition and copy the /home-files to a new /home
> partition?
> Also, I have a W3k dual boot configuration.
>
> That was a lot, I realise,  but thanks in advance.

To upgrade via yum the short version goes like this:

1. backup all your data
2. upgrade yum to yum from fc3
3. upgrade fedora-release to fedora-release from fc3
4. make sure all your repositories point where you think they should
point.
5. run yum list updates - just to make sure things seem sane and working
6. make sure you are NOT in X and X is not loaded
6. from a terminal prompt run: yum upgrade
7. wait wait wait
8. you must reboot before using your system again
9. reboot the system and make sure you select the new kernel, not the
old one(s)
10. once your system is fully booted you may want to install some
additional items. Recommended:
  yum groupupdate "GNOME Desktop Environment"

let me know what problems you encounter.

-sv