kernel headers vmware

Paul Iadonisi pri.rhl3 at iadonisi.to
Fri Nov 5 02:31:43 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-11-04 at 20:22, Brian Callahan wrote:

[snip]

> I am trying to install VMware 4 on FC3T3 and it can't find the header
> files

  VMware 4.5.2?

> "What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your
> running
> kernel? [/usr/src/linux/include] /usr/src/linux
> The path "/usr/src/linux" is an existing directory, but it does not
> contain at
> least one of these directories "linux", "asm", "net" as expected."
>
> I am running 2.6.8-1.541 #1 Wed Sep 1 18:01:20 EDT 2004 i686 athlon i386
> GNU/Linux

  You shouldn't need to do any of what you've listed below.  I'm not
sure about FC3T3, but on FC3RC5 (kernel 2.6.9-1.667), when I run
vmware-config.pl, the path that it defaults to is
/lib/modules/2.6.9-1.667/build/include and everything builds fine.  When
all is done, vmware launches just fine, as well, but I haven't tried
actually installing and/or running a guest OS in it yet.

> I have built the kernel src src.rpm with rpmbuild -bp --target=i686
> kernel-2.6.spec
>
> then I did a symlink /usr/src/linux >
> /usr/src/redhat/BUILD/kernel-2.6.8/linux-2.6.8/
>

> Anyway what am I doing wrong -- do I still need the source to build
> vmware and NVidia drivers or is there a headers package ?
>
>  Any help would be GREAT !!

  I'd suggest updating to FC3RC5 (or just do a yum update) and make sure
there's no /usr/src/linux* directories.  Then maybe vmware-config.pl
will find the right place to look for the needed kernel headers.
Barring that, just try plugging in
/lib/modules/2.6.8-1.541/build/include when it asks for where your
headers are.
  I've also noted in http://platan.vc.cvut.cz/ftp/pub/vmware/readme.txt
that one of the updates is udev support for vmnet, so you may want to
grab vmware-any-any-update84.tar.gz from there and apply it, too.

--
-Paul Iadonisi
 Senior System Administrator