Network manager restart..

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Fri Nov 5 15:29:29 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-11-04 at 05:37 -0800, Bikehead wrote:
> I can make my network manager die fairly consitently, by disconnecting
> and reconnecting my wired ethernet in order to force the network manager
> to switch to my internal wireless card and back.  The desktop icon
> disappears and "service NetworkManger status" reports the service is
> dead.  I restart it and it seems to start fine with "service
> NetworkManger status" reporting the service alive.  However, I can't get
> the desktop icon back.  What's the best way to do that?

The desktop icon is controlled by NetworkManagerInfo, which is started
by your gnome session.  0.3.1-3 should help out with the crashes
somewhat, but I'll be releasing a much better version shortly after FC3
ships as an update.  RelEng isn't taking major updates for FC3 at this
time.  I believe that the crash-when-switching bugs are mostly squashed
now in CVS.

For the desktop icon issue, just run "NetworkManagerInfo" from a
terminal and it will come back.

Dan