Public SPEC files please

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Fri Nov 5 23:19:39 UTC 2004

On Fri, 5 Nov 2004, Michael Schwendt wrote:

> Do we really need to discuss the potential dangers of CVS commit
> access for everyone?

I never asked for that.

> >  + The SPEC files are inside Source packages that are located on someone's
> >    webserver (that at this time is even no longer available). Different
> >    packages are on different servers by different packagers.
>
> And why are we discussing this when we wait for official Fedora Extras
> anyway?

Ok. That would be an acceptable answer. Instead of disputing everything I
say something like this I can live with. Any dates attached to it ?

> >  + The only way to know the existence of such a project/package is to find
> >    it in bugzilla and look for the different URLs of these packages.
>
> Surprise, surprise. Imagine somebody derived a SuSE Linux package from
> your spec file, cutting off the %changelog. You might never learn
> about that.

My request is not (necessarily) about packages that are derived from mine.
My query is about being able to follow any development that interest me.
To be able to quickly compare eg. the latest fedora.us SPEC, together with
the latest Mandrake SPEC, PLD SPEC or openpkg SPEC.

All those other projects allow me to do that. Likewise we allow them to do
that.

And sorry Michael, but if an outsider cannot do that, an insider must have
the same problems.

> > So it's rather hard to follow the development of a single package, let
> > alone follow the different developments of many packages.
>
> As a comparison, how would I follow pre-release development of your
> packages? Or alternatively, freshrpms?

That's one and the same subversion:

	http://svn.rpmforge.net/svn/trunk/rpms/

We build from the same SPEC files. People have access to the changes and
can send in patches or fixes that can be reviewed by others when they get
submitted by someone with commit access.

Not everyone needs commit access to be able to help out. I did never say
that.