FC3 Upgrade of x86-64 System?

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Mon Nov 8 03:35:59 UTC 2004

On Sat, 6 Nov 2004, seth vidal wrote:

> On Sat, 2004-11-06 at 11:00 -0600, Andrew W. Donoho wrote:

> > Folks,
> >
> > With the impending release of FC3, I was wondering if a single i386
> > rescue disk can be used to kick off both i386 and x86-64 system
> > upgrades? In other words, can I boot the i386 rescue disk on an x86-64
> > system and then point it at an x86-64 repository to do the install as
> > an x86-64 system?
> >

> no, the kernel is wrong.

For what little it's worth, this works on SuSE. For example, make an iso of
the boot dir only for SuSE 9.2 Pro, and it'll default to x86_64 on
AMD64/EMT64 gear with the option to instead install i386 if you don't want
the 64-bit for some reason. On 32-bit Intel-compatible gear, it'll install
i386.

later,
chris