FC3 does not boot with an own vanilla kernel

RON FLORY ron.flory at adtran.com
Wed Nov 10 21:29:34 UTC 2004

Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> no but you have to tell your bootloader about it as well otherwise it
> just goes unused.

  Like?

title Test (2.6.9)
         root (hd0,1)
         kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9 ro root=/dev/hda4 rhgb
         initrd /initrd-2.6.9.img

  except, substituting 'root=LABEL=/' for 'root=LABEL=/' keeps
the bootloader from finding an initrd.  As it is now, it just can't
find a console  ;)

  Yet, the below target works when the FC3 kernel source is built
and prepared with mkinitrd:

title Fedora Core (2.6.9-prep)
         root (hd0,1)
         kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-prep ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb
         initrd /initrd-2.6.9-prep.img

>>  P.S.  as a side note, i remember the LABEL=/ directive not
>>        working with kernel.org 2.4 kernels since RH8, and i
>>        never really *had* to bother with building initrds then.
>>        I just assumed some RH proprietary stuff was not present
>>        and didn't worry too much about it.
>

> well that's the wrong assumption; LABEL= has never been a kernel side
> thing...

  OK, I believe you- it just an 'unknown' i can work around without
too much trouble.  I am a bit curious why it behaves differently tho.

ron