Where O where has my Kernel source gone.

alan alan at clueserver.org
Thu Nov 11 03:57:49 UTC 2004

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004, Charles R. Anderson wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 10, 2004 at 04:46:58PM -0800, Andrew Farris wrote:
> > not prepared for your arch yet and it might be expected to be (nvidia's
> > installer).  To get the sources prepared all you need is rpmbuild -bp
> > and then move the tree as you did (this should make prepare with the
> > correct .config).
>
> Kernel modules should *not* be using /usr/src/linux or
> kernel-sourcecode for compiling against.  They are broken if they need
> it.

BTW, yes they are bjorken.  Yes, there are still modules that act like
that.

But what if it is a kernel module included with the kernel and not built?
(Like ntfs.)

Sometimes you need the source.

The excuse has been that there is just not enough space on the distro
discs.  That will always be a problem.  There will always be more and more
stuff to put into the distro.  When we have uber-mega-terabyte distro
discs, we will still be bitching about not having enough space for
something.

That is why we have multi-disc installs.

--
Q: Why do programmers confuse Halloween and Christmas?
A: Because OCT 31 == DEC 25.