Re: Why don't you guys like synaptic?

Paul Iadonisi wrote:

On Thu, 2004-11-11 at 14:00 -0700, Kim Lux wrote:

[snip]

The last time someone made that statement, the line was "upgrades from
test releases are not supported." Now that we've got a bug issue in a
final release, the stance changes to "upgrades from test and release
candidates" are not supported.

You seem insistent on asserting that there is a difference between
test releases and release candidates, while I don't remember anyone from
Red Hat indicating anything of the sort. At least with respect to
upgrades from RCs to official releases, there is no difference. I
haven't seen RCs even *defined*. If they are not defined, how can you
expect *anything* to be any more guaranteed to work than test releases.
So the stance has not changed at all. You've just insisted on a
definition of test releases that I don't think whoever labels release
candidates as such shares. If whoever decided on the label 'Release
Candidate' cares to comment, then fine, we may be on a path to defining
what a Release Candidate actually is. Until then, you can assume
nothing.

I got the impression that the release candidates were very unofficialy bundled by a very nice chap (sorry can't remember your name mate), and mirrored by another very nice chappy over at duke.edu.

I got the impression that there were three things being "achieved" by the RC's.
A) Some final trails of the kernel, I get the impression they were not compleately confident and really wanted it tested thouroughly.
B) Test a new build/release system.
C) Let us eager beavers see the new greatest and latest, with most bugs squashed.

No comments were made on http://fedora.redhat.com/ about it, which to me makes it "unoficial".

What I hate, is the apparent attitude of some that seems to "demand" things from a free, voluntear force. I use fedora at work, BUT I know what I am getting and the stability of it, I also made it 100% clear to the company that I work for, what they are getting and what support they can expect.

Nothing is being hidden from us, and at no point have I ever seen that upgrading from any thing other then a "Final Release" would EVER be "supported".

Doug