Applications for FC4

Per Bjornsson perbj at stanford.edu
Mon Nov 15 04:36:54 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-11-14 at 19:51, Temlakos wrote:

> And at the risk of going from the sublime to the ridiculous, why not
> include a real minimalist desktop, like Ice?

Because the apparently most popular minimalist desktop nowadays is XFCE,
and it's already included?

> And why doesn't Fedora include WINE?

When it was dropped from Red Hat Linux a while back, the explanation was
along the lines of it being in so much of a development stage that any
packaged version shipped with the distro would always be outdated.
There's also of course the potential of getting Microsoft on your back
for shipping a Windows compatibility layer; there may be patent issues
involved, and Red Hat has a tendency to be cautious about such things.
(I don't know of what might be involved on that front, but Microsoft is
pretty good at laying out IP minefields.)

> One last thing--I have a client whose biggest lament is that he can't
> get onto AOL except by using a browser. How about reviving the Penggy
> project to create a proper AOL client? (I already checked: WINE can't
> run the Windows AOL client. Somebody tried, and it blew up. It's all
> that stuff that AOL's installer puts into the protocol stack.)

Some of us avoid AOL like the plague. What exactly does an AOL client do
that a browser doesn't?

/Per

--
Per Bjornsson <perbj at stanford.edu>
Ph.D. Candidate, Department of Applied Physics, Stanford University